Beauty is the feature which, all around the world, is most commonly associated with Italy. Towns and villages, marvellous landscapes, works of art, creativity, local dishes, made in Italy, these are all representative elements which the world recognises as the tiles which, from north to south of our peninsula, make up the mosaic of Italian beauty.
So diverse and varied, yet how beautiful is Italy!
In Syracuse, the typical Sicilian puppet calls his love “bedda” during the show. In Rome, a driver will say “a bella” to get his vintage Fiat 500 working in front of the Colosseum. And the Venetian gondolier with his “besa” gondola will glide through the canals of the lagoon discovering an incredible scenery. In Milan, design, architecture and many cultural events will be “bèli”. In Naples, a master craftsman, looking at the little statue his hands have made, lets himself go, praising himself with a “cumm’è bell”. And how can one avoid exclaiming “che bellezza” when looking at the spectacular sunset along the Tuscan coast of Forte dei Marmi. Watch the video!
Forte dei Marmi is a seaside town in the province of Lucca (Tuscany), along the northern coast facing the Ligurian Sea. The connection with the idea of beauty becomes immediate and startlingly clear as soon as you get to the avenue along the beach, there are few other places in the world where you can admire a scenery like this, with the beaches and the Apuan Alps together – the works of art of Michelangelo Buonarroti inevitably come to mind. It was from here that the sculptor, on commission by Pope Leo X, ordered the marble he used to give life to his immortal creations. It was in those times that the pier was built for ships to land, with next to it the marble warehouse, established on the order of Cosimo II dei Medici in 1618, which was the beginning of the town. “The Fort”, at first a small village of fishermen and sailors, got its name from the little fortress built around the year 1700 in the centre of the town, and from its historic marble.Recognised today as the most chicand intourist location in the Versilia, loved by Italians and foreigners, in summer especially it is a meeting place for tourists from all over the world, along with celebrities, politicians, sport stars and businessmen. Its fame is also due to a hectic social life, with discos and famous clubs which attract nightlife fans and anybody seeking sun and sea, relaxation and fun. One needs only mention the elegant “Capannina di Franceschi”, fashionable ever since the sixties, or the charming “Twiga Beach Club”, an exclusive seaside disco, or the modern “Costes”, if you are looking for a fashionable cocktail among friends. Nearby you can also find “Seven Apples”, “la Bussola”, “la Canniccia” and “Kama Kama”, some of the liveliest venues for the Italian and international jet-set. Everything at Forte dei Marmi must be artistic and glamourous, but we must not forget that it still is a bathing resort, and its real natural treasures are its long beaches of golden sand, with state-of-the-art beach properties and water marked with a “Blue Flag” for bathing quality. Then there are local markets with quality products, modern boutiques with costly designer clothing, well-kept green pine forests, precious ancient villas. Its symbol, the ancient pier, though it has lost its original function as a place for loading and unloading ships, still extends into the sea for over 300 metres. At sunset, when the surfers swim back gliding on the water striped with red and gold and young couples stroll hand in hand, it still affords the most romantic and fascinating view over the riviera and is a very beautiful subject to catch with your camera.
Here are some upcoming events offered by the beautiful Versilia and Forte dei Marmi:
- DIABOLIK CARNIVAL BALL – 21/02/15 – Meeting of the Diabolik Club, special performances by cartoonists, election of ‘Miss Eva Kant’ and of course no end of music and fun at “La Capannina di Franceschi” in Forte dei Marmi
- VIAREGGIO CARNIVAL – from 08/02/15 to 28/02/15 – Carnival celebrations in and around Viareggio, from afternoon parades to evening parties
- MARKET AT FORTE DEI MARMI – 25/02/15 and every Wednesday – 200 stands in Piazza Marconi from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- TERRE DI TOSCANA – from 28/02/15 to 01/03/15 – a wine-and-senses event, with tasting of the best Tuscan wines, at UNA Hotel Versilia
- THE GREAT WAR OF LORENZO VIANI – 01/03/15 last day – an exhibition of works by Viani together with photos by Guido Zeppini, for the one hundredth anniversary of the First World War, at Villa Argentina (Viareggio)
- ANTIQUE MARKET – from 14/02/15 to 15/02/15 and every second weekend of the month, in Piazza Dante
- ARTURO DAZZI RESTORED – 28/03/15 last day – exhibition of the works of the twentieth century artist at Villa Bertelli in via Mazzini 200
- INTERNATIONAL FIREWORKS Festival – 23/05/15 – world Pyro Designer Championship USA-Australia-France